Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn raised guy mounts

To: "'Daniel Hileman'" <n9wx@hotmail.com>, "'TOWER TALK'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn raised guy mounts
From: "Jon Zaimes" <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:24:09 -0400
There's been much discussion of these on Tower Talk over the years; try an
archive search.

I've used elevated guy posts at three QTH's in Delaware since the early
1980s. Some have been I beams and others 4-inch diameter steel pipe filled
with concrete.

The holes for the elevated posts at my current QTH, used on four of my seven
towers and in place nearly 20 years, were drilled with a 10-inch or so auger
and are 4 to 6 feet deep, with concrete filling the holes. They vary from 4
to 7 feet above ground. I used a reciprocating saw to cut the top end of the
I-beam at an angle, then drilled holes to accommodate the ends of
turnbuckles.

There's a photo of one under the "Towers" tab on my site:
http://www.aa1k.us/

At one of my earlier QTH's I had one of these about 15 feet tall so the guys
would clear a driveway.

A friend has some of these in rockier soil in Pennsylvania and didn't use
any concrete. They have been there about 30 years without budging.

73/Jon

Jon P. Zaimes, AA1K
Tower climber for hire
http://www.aa1k.us/
Cell: 302-632-2353

Reviews of AA1K tower work on eham website:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12922

Hug your favorite tower every day, and always stay connected to it.