Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling
From: Dan Bookwalter via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 00:08:00 +0000 (UTC)
In late 90's , I had a 40/80 combo , apex 70ft ,  ends at roughly 30ft I
suppose I forget which order I trimmed them , but , got both bands working
nicely on CW end , never modeled it ... but , from my perspective worked very
well ...
It was "aimed" at EU ...
I know everyone is onto modeling everything,  I am in the camp of , put it up ,
give it a try , dont like it , try again ...
We have lost so much of the "ham" part of ham radio... I used to , and still do
, throw a wire out and see what you can do ... other than 160 and probably 80 ,
you can work a suprising amount of stuff ...
My first 285 countries were with a ta-33 at 18 feet , 100 watts , and no
external vfo,  worked several new ones spinning the dial back and forth...
Dan N8DCJ
P.s. I miss those days ... oh , and chasing the Russians with the RIT during a
qso because they drifted around so much (late 70's/early 80's)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:48 PM, Jim Brown<jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
 On 7/11/2018 12:42 PM, Bruce Jungwirth wrote:
> I’m just trying to determine which would be the better choice.

If you have neighbors the answer is neither. Antennas like this cannot
be choked to kill noise picked up on the feedline, so they tend to be
noisy. You can't work 'em if you can't hear 'em.

Resonant coax-fed antennas with a serious ferrite choke at the feedpoint
are the quietest antenna you can easily rig. That's the virtue of fan
dipoles.

73, Jim K9YC