[TowerTalk] Feeding a "Super Sloper"

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feeding a "Super Sloper"
From: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 11:48:31 -0400
(You can skip to the next-to-last paragraph if you wish; it's where the question comes in)

I'm experimenting with a 40M antenna built by W1LWH, based on W7WKB's article in December 1995 QST.  It involves two parallel 3x1/2 wave sloper elements, with the parasitic element offset lengthwise by 1/4 wave toward the lower end, and spaced 0.02 wavelength from the driven sloper.

The author describes the feedpoint resistance as being in the range 150-165 ohms, from 7.0 to 7.25 MHz, with reactance over that range basically 0-10 ohms.  I am feeding the antenna with what is intend to be 1/2 wave of 450-ohm open wire line, with a velocity factor of about 0.91, the idea being to replicate the feedpoint impedance at the end of the open-wire line.

As can happen in the real world, I neglected to measure the required length of the feedline  before putting the antenna up.  Rather than take it down, I cut the feedline (hopefully) more than long enough, thinking that I could trim the length before connecting a 4:1 balun.  Using my trusty MFJ-259B, through the balun, I measure r 40+j 24 at 7050.  In the real world, both my transceiver and my amp load it fine, so I suspect I don't really need to adjust the open wire line. However...

Finally, the question. Assuming that the feedpoint reactance of the sloper is close to zero, does anything about the measured impedance above (40 +j24) tell me whether the open wire line is too long or too short?

Have pity, guys - I was a history major in college.

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network