Re: [TowerTalk] Rain drops noise on Yagi (dipole)

To: "Richard Smith" <n6kt1@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rain drops noise on Yagi (dipole)
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 19:28:29 -0500
Hi Rich,

Taking the worst case rain static situation – very heavy rain for say, about 30
minutes, the Top antenna is ~ @ S9, the 2nd @ S6-7, the 3rd @ S3 and the bottom
antenna quiet or almost quiet.

Phasing any two of these antennas gives you close to the arithmetic average of
the two noise levels.

So the limiting factor is,  what is the signal strength of the target area on
each antenna at that point in time?  And which antenna has the best s/n ratio?

If it is at night and I am trying to run JA’s on 10 near the top of the cycle,
an S9 noise level will effectively end the run, whereas if it is in the daytime
and there is a good opening to EU, it may be possible to continue the run
depending on qrn level, signals strengths of callers, signal strength dropoffs
with different stacking combinations, etc.

In one DX contest, JA’s were fairly loud on 10 but the rain static on the top
antenna @ 100’ was louder and was killing the run.  However, the 3rd antenna,
@ 37’, had signals about 2 s-units weaker than the top antenna but about 4
s-units lower qrn, allowing me to sustain a slower run with fewer callers
(because I was 2 s-units weaker!).

I quickly realized that I had only one option given how short 10 meter JA runs
are in New England.  I had to transmit on the top and then immediately switch
back to the 37’ to listen and then immediately switch back to the top when
transmitting.  I did this for about 30 minutes – a real PITA! – until the rain
became so intense that the qrn rose on the 37’ to S-9 as well.  That was the
end of the run, but I had gotten another 30 minutes out of it.

I remember working K5P on 10 meters the same way – qrn (from power line noise)
was S6-7 on the top and S2-3 on the  37’ footer. K5P was maybe S3 on peaks on
the top antenna but was completely buried in the qrn.   At the peak I barely
heard K5P on the 37’ footer but he heard me transmitting on the top antenna and
came back to me – which I didn’t realize until I switched back to the 37’.
After two tries we had a good qso on 10 thanks to FB operating and patience on
his part and rather novel operating on my part.  You do what you have to do.
:-)

This is fairly typical for all types of qrn whether from power line noise or
rain static – the only difference is that the power line noise is mostly
directional where as the rain static is omnipresent regardless of the direction
to where the antennas are pointed.

While there are some differences from 10 to 15 to 20, the relative qrn level
differences between antennas in the stacks on 10, 15 and 20 are pretty similar.

I had not thought about the possible effectiveness of putting an antenna on the
mast above the top 20 @ 130’.  I’ll have to give that some thought.

73

Bob KQ2M