[TowerTalk] Voltage and SWR - an ignorant question

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Voltage and SWR - an ignorant question
From: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 09:41:52 -0500
Last week I was in the 160 CW contest using a jury rigged antenna - my 40M parasitic sloper fed with open wire line from a 4:1 allegedly 5 KW balun via a long run of Buryflex to the shack.  Believe it or not, it didn't work badly, but...

The swr at the amp's antenna tuner was about 4:1, but when I put 1500 watts on it at the end of the contest the amp would quickly fault indicating an SWR of 20:1.  My guess is that something was flashing over. However, on 40 meters the antenna continues to operate and take full power just fine.  Its native SWR on that band is under 1.8:1.

So, my question, does higher SWR mean higher voltage peaks on the feedline? Once the snow stops, I'm going to go looking, but thought any advice I could get before that would help.

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network