[TowerTalk] Strategies to reduce ice damage?

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Strategies to reduce ice damage?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 08:39:34 -0800
We don't get many ice storms here but had a good sized one a couple of years ago - 1" radial plus snow. I observed my high yagis (above tree tops) were nearly clean, my guess is there was just enough wind to keep them moving. Lower antennas were very heavily loaded, but all survived ok, a bit to my surprise.

So am wondering if periodic rotation back and forth might be a good strategy? It would be nice if an app on the pc or code in the controller had "icing mode" so I don't need to stay up all night.

Any experiences and techniques worth sharing? It looks like next week is headed towards perfect ice storm conditions.

Thanks,

Grant KZ1W