[TowerTalk] 45G Guy Bracket Fit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 45G Guy Bracket Fit
From: Byron Tatum <bjtatum1@att.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 14:23:34 +0000 (UTC)
Hello-    I ended up with a few sections of the Amerite (American Tower, I
believe) 45G in my inventory over the years. It never occurred to me to check
these ahead of time. I am starting up with 2 45G towers. I installed a guy
bracket for first level of guys and found the rungs on "Z" bracing are not
level with each other. I have always installed a guy bracket where it is
resting on top of the rungs of "Z" bracing. This is the first time that I ran
into this -- two of the guy bracket sides are resting squarely on the rungs
parallel to them but the third side of guy bracket is not parallel to that
rung; the rung is sloped very slightly, by about 1/8" from end to end. I would
like to leave this section in place but don't like the guy bracket fit. I
checked the adjoining rungs and they are made the same way. It is not the guy
bracket-I swapped it out with a NOS unused one and saw the same fit.   The
result of this is that out at the end of guy bracket assembly where guy wire
thimble attaches the attachment 5/8" bolt has a slight slope to it. All of the
downward push at this point on guy bracket is against one rung weld instead of
being shared by both rung welds. I am considering putting some form of spacer
between guy bracket side piece and top side of rung.      I would assume that a
guy bracket needs to be resting on the rungs, I don't believe you are supposed
to put them anywhere else as they may slide down the tower legs.Just curious
how others have dealt with this?Byron W5FH