Re: [TowerTalk] Securing vertical to concrete post?

To: Jim Miller <jim@jtmiller.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Securing vertical to concrete post?
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 18:57:13 -0600
Permanent installation on a dock piling.I would be securing something like a
BigIR or DX Engineering vertical.The DX Engineering tilt base normally mounts
to a 2.5-3" diameter pipe.
See:https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-va-pivot-3?fromname=Gary+Schwartz&fromAddress=gschwartz%40wi.rr.com&toAddress=garyk9gs%40wi.rr.com&message=&wishlistid=&mailtype=Item&itemgroupname=&currentItem=DXE-VA-PIVOT-3&storyGroup=&storyName=&x=85&y=18I
 could fashion some kind of heavy duty adapter plate to go between the tilt
base and the post.I currently have one of these bases holding an 80m vertical
to a 6X6 wooden post.  Instead of using the U bolts that would normally go
around a steel post, I pass bolts through the 6X6 and use a backing plate on
the opposite face from the antenna base.  Obviously something I can't do with a
concrete post.  I've thought of fabricating a large SS U bolt from all-thread
and clamping the post with a large AL plate.  Not sure how easy it would be to
bend the all-thread though in a 10" diameter bend.That's assuming I can buy SS
all-thread.73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Jim Miller <jim@jtmiller.com> Date:
3/5/19  6:24 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com> Cc:
"towertalk@contesting com" <towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk]
Securing vertical to concrete post? Is this a temporary installation or
intended to be long term.What's the diameter and material of the HF
vertical?jim ab3cvOn Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 7:21 PM Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
wrote:> I'm looking for ideas for securing a large HF vertical to a concrete>
post.The post is approximately 10" in diameter. It is also near saltwater> so
corrosion is a concern.I've thought of using several large SS hose> clamps but
even the widest ones I could find are 3/4". I'm looking for> something a little
more robust. I do not want to drill into the concrete> out of concern for
letting in moisture/saltwater. Any ideas?73,Gary K9GS>