[TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower foundation and bedrock

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower foundation and bedrock
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 12:53:48 +0000 (UTC)
 Hi Chuck,
Bedrock is, I believe, the best to anchor a tower in. Just make 100% sure it is
bedrock you have where you are erecting the tower. When I was planning for my
tower a (big mouth) "friend" of mine told me where to find bedrock. He pointed
out a spot that was 100% bedrock. He even "tested" it by kicking on it with his
boot. Well, the "bedrock" turned out to be a relatively large rock, ~100 lb but
there was no "bed-" with it. I'm just happy I checked before I spent the time
to attach anything to the rock. I, instead, dug down 5 feet, placed a 6'x6'
granite block (that just happened to lay around on my property), and attach my
tower to that. As I also had a ton of scrap metal laying around, I placed that
on top of the granite to add some extra weight.
I used 6 galvanized angle irons attached to the granite block with 12
bolts-and-nuts. The bolts all go through the block. The angle irons are encased
in concrete. I felt I didn't have to add any yards of concrete for this
installation. It has been a few years now and nothing has moved.
73 de,
Hans - N2JFS