Re: [TowerTalk] Ladder Line Question?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ladder Line Question?
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 21:21:22 -0700
I wrote about some of this in this forum back on 4/13.

BTW, my paper was never in QST but it was in Vol 6 of the ARRL Antenna Compendium, p. 174.  A draft copy is here: http://k6mhe.com/n7ws/Ladder_Line.pdf

Wes  N7WS

On 4/21/2019 2:36 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
Hi Mike,

I see several possible issues. Like Jim Lux, I don't trust the loss data nor the measurement technique. Far better would be swept S11 measurements of a known length with the far end open and shorted, and post-processing in AC6LA's ZPlots. From my own experience attempting to measure paired lines, the most critical part is dealing with the interface between an unbalanced analyzer and the line. KN5L does this with a carefully wound transformer at the output of the analyzer, with calibration performed on the output side of the transformer (that is, where the line is connected).

The other possible issue is absorption of rain by the foam, and it's effect on characteristics of the line. Many years ago, QST published excellent work by N7WS on the greatly increased loss of window line when it is wet. That piece is reprinted in one of the ARRL Antenna Compendiums.

73, Jim K9YC