Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2019 13:18:04 -0500
I concur however most hams can only measure one thing - SWR. They do not know or care about the pattern or even any losses if the SWR is good. Speaking of patterns, look how popular the magical all band 43' vertical was and maybe still is. If an antenna has low SWR and stations can be worked with it, it is a great antenna and gets a five star review. With modes like FTx you do not even need to radiate that well to make QSOs.

John KK9A

David Gilbert AB7E wrote:

All true, but I'd bet that the folks who think an end fed wire makes a
good all band antenna don't much care about pattern.  If they can feed
it and make random contacts without burning up their rig they're happy.

For me, I want to know (and be able to control) where my RF is going.

73,
Dave   AB7E