Re: [TowerTalk] Marking cables for identification

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Marking cables for identification
From: Mac <libbysales@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 18:03:43 -0500
I have a Brady heat set label maker with all the popular electronic symbols, the tape or even heat-shrink wrap is available in multiple sizes and color contrast white tape black marking yellow tape black markings.  Brady offers tape and heat shrink tubing.

Down side ?  the tape heat-shrink is pretty expensive, example  i am presently using some heat shrink tubing 3 meter in length and its like 45.00 for the roll. you can stop in mid production and switch to tape then back to shrink tubing or as you want.

But for me its not the cost its what i want and the look i want so i dont care $$$ ..

Them the anal part comes into play [this already sounds bad] what direction do you want the writing to run, into the device away from the device or connection or with the 'flow' of the cable direction, how far from each end or termination point .  your own intuitiveness comes into play and what suits you best.  if you were to review my work,  it would show how i have progressed in my thinking and effort from my first efforts,  and most often its the re-do effort that keeps me from going back and re-making the early ones i dont now pattern after.

All in all i have moved a long way from masking tape and 'marks a lot  flags and hanging circular tags and various colors and the must have then legend that converted my gibberish into what cable [example] A-16 really serves.

The next area i wanted to solve was showing a quick difference between AC and DC circuits plus Battery ckts. i have 2 DC buss runs, 12vdc and 13.8vdc.

My audio identification was/is the most challenging, i collect military speakers so its always a situation 600 ohm 3.2-4 ohm 8 ohm and 16 ohm feeds.

I also have a Kingsley hot stamping machine but have pretty much moved away from that, but my early cables still reflect that method.

It is at this point i have likely given you TMI and will close this and see what others proffer.

best:  mac/mc  w5mc