Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 08:58:26 -0400
As bad as the SWR plots look after the repairs, it's not that far out of spec.
The USAP LP-1005 SWR spec is less than 3:1 between 3-4 MHz, and less than 2:1
between 4-30 Mhz.  On 75m-80m, it really needs an ATU no matter what based on
their 3:1 SWR spec.

http://www.usantennaproducts.com/antennas/models-lp-1005-lp-1001-lp-1002/

I would also have to call into question USAP's gain spec.  Providing a gain
spec based on ground reflection is misleading.  Just give customers the gain in
either dBd or dBi in *free space.*  That's it.  Why the need to back into a
meaningful free space number by subtracting out the reflection gain?  Let the
customer determine reflection gain based on terrain using refection prediction
software (e.g., HFTA).

Based on the LP-1005 boom length, frequency coverage, and reasonable sigma/tau
parameters, I would estimate that gain is no more than about 5.5 dBd across the
spectrum.  I base that on Roger Cox's LPCAD35 log periodic design software.

When running a LPDA model in NEC software, one sees that only 2-3 elements
carry the majority of RF on any given frequency.  In essence, the LPDA is an
electrical equivalent of a short-spaced 2-3 element Yagi on a short boom --
even when the boom is 70 ft long.  A big price in performance is paid to have
continuous frequency coverage.

Just my opinion, but this type of massive government/military system should
only by turnkeyed with a performance guarantee.  By doing all, or some of the
work yourself, you end up owning each and every problem that develops no matter
how large or small.  With a well-written turnkey contract, the risk is
significantly reduced.

Paul, W9AC