Re: [TowerTalk] stack controller

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] stack controller
From: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 14:15:16 -0500
Steve,

I recently took a lighting hit that took out quite a bit of my equipment.  I have a WISP antenna on my tower and I feel it came through the ethernet to the computer then to all devices connected to the computer via the usb ports.  It took out my I/O card in my K3S, all three of my Green Heron RT-21's and a USB port on the computer.  It also took out the 4O3A antenna switch was connected to the network via an ethernet cable.

After a bit of research I am going with Green Heron's GH Everywhere products.  The only thing connected to my operating desk from the towers will be a single coax cable (which passes through a Polyphaser at the entrance bulkhead)

I'll be able to control my two stack matches with one of the GH remotes with the 8 relay card installed.  That sounds like what you need.   If you need more than 8 relays, purchase a 2nd remote with another 8 relays.

I was a little hesitant at first, but after setting up one of the remotes, it wasn't difficult at all. I like the graphic interface on the computer which can be controlled with a mouse click or hot keys.  I will no longer need the stack match control boxes or RT-21 rotor controls on my operating desk.  My operating desk is now clutter free.

The three RT-21's are being repaired and will be upgraded with Jeff's wireless cards so I won't need to connect them to the computer with a USB cable.  I'm also installing a couple Select 8 switches at the towers which will not require control cables, just 12v down the coax.

Wish I had done this a long time ago.

Rich - N5ZC