Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrites 31 vs. 77 material

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrites 31 vs. 77 material
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 10:51:15 -0700
On 10/30/2019 6:43 AM, Roger Parsons via TowerTalk wrote:
K9YC wrote:

"Yes, but virtually all of the recommendations for #43 and #52 material are
WRONG!"

Steve is sadly no longer with us and unable to defend himself. However, he had
previously rigorously defended his methodology. He was very technically able in
both theoretical and practical matters, and I personally trust his results.

There is nothing wrong with his methodology nor his measurements. The thing he missed, and that I also missed until recently, is the effect of component tolerances. About a year ago, I bought 40 of the #52 Fair-Rite cores, split into four orders over about a month from four Fair-Rite distributors measured the characteristics of each, and put the data in a spreadsheet. I then selected cores at the limits of Rs and Xs and wound chokes following Steve's guidelines. None of those chokes were even close to his published data.

My methodology is discussed in detail in
http://k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf

73, Jim K9YC