Re: [TowerTalk] The hunt for a feedline fault - update

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The hunt for a feedline fault - update
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 17:48:54 -0800
On 11/8/19 4:00 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

By the way, I was wrong when I said earlier that TLW was telling me I had a dead short.  The graph only made it look like that, and a more careful look at the axis dimensions said that the dips for each frequency were always about 28 ohms resistive at the low power of my analyzer ... which makes more sense than a short for a fault caused by a high power RF arc over.  I find that even more impressive (the data, not my error), since it means that the location of even non-absolute anomalies (neither open nor short) could potentially be found by this method.

It's essentially like doing the FFT of a frequency sweep to do time domain reflectometry.. And it's very, very sensitive. The one thing that will cause troubles (with either approach sweeps or TDR) is some sort of repetitive partial fault - because of ambiguities.