Re: [TowerTalk] JK301 30M Dipole

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] JK301 30M Dipole
From: Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 12:07:29 -0500
I designed a full length 40 M dipole using old Telrex elements and some
added tubing.  I did the stress analysis, etc.  I had to double and triple
wall several places.  It is broadbanded over the entire 40M band.  Then I
suspended a #14 THHN stranded wire one foot above it, standing it off with
sawn sections of fiberglass electric fence posts, mounted with aluminum
angle. Holes drilled through the posts support the wire, some 46 feet and
change in length.  There is no connection from the feed line at the center
of the 40 meter section.  The result is a perfect SWR on both bands. And it
works.

The 40/30 is mounted at 105 feet on my rotating Rohn 55 tower.  Above it at
145 feet and below at 75 feet are two, two element Moxons for 40 meters.  I
can switch between the two antennas, Moxons and dipole, and see 7-10 dB
difference, in favor of the Moxons.  It's cool to be able to see is stuff
work like is supposed to.  I often can work a station off the dipole that
would be a the rear of the Moxons, saving the time and wear on the rotator.

Both antennas are fed with two core common mode RF chokes.

73,

Dave, K4TO