Re: [TowerTalk] One Shot

To: "'Julio Peralta'" <jperalta4@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One Shot
From: Gene Smar via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 14:07:49 -0500
Julio:

     The documentation I had available the last time I used One-Shots (ca.
2001) stated that the post-weld material was an integral mass of copper.  To
answer your question, I suppose (Caveat Amateur!) that the weld can take a
few blows to drive it deeper.  But why not drive the rod to its final depth
before the weld, and dig out around the rod to provide whatever clearance
you need to make up the weld mechanically?  When I welded, the ceramic mold
rested about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the trench (18 inches deep) in
which I had sunk the ground rods.

     BTW - I would recommend actually removing the ceramic mold material
from the excavation, and not just breaking it free.  By doing so you will
remove those sharp edges from near the rod that might scrape off the thin
copper cladding over time due to ground heaving.  Yes, rocks will do the
same damage but the ceramic shards are easier to remove completely.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F