Re: [TowerTalk] "different" trap

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "different" trap
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 11:48:41 -0800
On 11/22/19 11:01 AM, Tom WA9WSJ via TowerTalk wrote:
Hello Oh Wise Ones,
I have a trap from a vertical antenna, I took it apart to use as a show and
tell item but never expected that it has two different coils inside in series
with the outer aluminum tube/capacitor.
I have a picture of it on my site. http://www.wa9wsj.com/misc%20stuff.htm
About mid page.
Can anyone tell me about it?
Thanks!
Tom

It really doesn't matter whether the inductor is all in one chunk or split into two. There's somewhat of a parallel LC, - the capacitance is not a lump, but distributed over the L, so there's both a series and a parallel component.

It probably is a convenient design to control the capacitance, or to make it easier to manufacture, etc.

Also, it could be to "design around" someone else's (patented) LC trap.

There's probably as many ways to make a LC trap as there are people making them.