Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking 4-squares?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking 4-squares?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 17:44:41 -0400
Thanks to all of you that have emailed me privately (so many!) and several
who have replied here.

I think at this moment I may have rethink this.  I really like the broad
pattern a 4-square produces for contesting (example, to the SW I can still
work most of the Carib quite easily) and to the NE; Scandanavia down through
most of the NW corner of AF is easy to work.

I had somehow forgotten about the decreased azimuthal width of the frontal
lobe part of stacking "side by each" (as we sometimes say up here).  I
should have clued in to this as I had long 2m beams like this and in a box
pattern, but it's been a couple decades now and in my haste to gather info I
equated stacking with pure gain.  My bad.

I think going forward I may look at phasing (stacking) my current 20m
4-square with a switchable delta loop (wire) yagi in the trees.  Maybe a 3el
where the DE is constant and I can flip-flop the directors and reflectors to
get 2-directions.   At one time I had a very low 15m/20m
(conjoined/colocated) delta loop (single wire) which I did try phasing with
the 20m array but all that really accomplished was seemingly just to give up
directivity and add noise.

Thanks all....and I apologize to not replying to you all individually. I am
usually very good at that, but there were simply too many emails to do
individual replies any kind of justice. !

CU soon

Mike VE9 Antenna Antenna

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB