Re: [TowerTalk] Rig Expert AA-230ZOOMBT analyzer

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rig Expert AA-230ZOOMBT analyzer
From: Martin Sole <hs0zed@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 08:57:40 +0700
I have had an AA-230 Zoom for a couple of years, pretty much since it was first available and I rate it as excellent.

The screen is not huge but it is reasonably bright. If I choose the right colour set it is even readable here in the Thailand sun. The keypad operation lacks a little intuitiveness initially but once you get the hang of it it is quick and easy to drive. I prefer the earlier version of the desktop software which is available and integrates nicely. I curse the use of AAA batteries and would have preferred the larger AA size. In its defence it runs on USB when plugged in.

I have used the TDR function and it seems to work well enough. On my 40m dipole it shows the discontinuity at 56.78m which is close to what I know it really is. It is certainly in my experience good enough to identify within about 6 inches or so a bad connection or damaged cable.

I recently cut a lot of stubs and used the technique in the AA-230 Zoom user guide to determine cable lengths using R and X, this also works very well. Compared with my VNWA3E and SimSmith it was very well correlated.

I haven't found much use for its Smith chart function.

It creates Touchstone s1p files for use with various other analysis tools such as AC6LA's superb Z plots, AE6TY's superb SimSmith and others of course.

The SWR meter function is quite useful.

It is light and easily carried though do protect it. Mine came with a cheap pvc type case that has kept it well so far.

I think it is a super field tool. I have a DG8SAQ VNWA3E which is excellent on the bench and for a lot more different things but the AA-230 Zoom I find to be an equally good single port antenna analyser.

All round I give it 5 stars but just a slight moan about the batteries being a bit short lived.

Mine is not the BlueTooth model but I can see where that might be useful if you need the galvanic isolation. You can achieve the same by using it standalone, storing a sweep and importing to a pc in slow time. Even if you store one sweep you have all the available data to display other parameters.

Martin, HS0ZED