Re: [TowerTalk] Jumper Cable Fabricator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Jumper Cable Fabricator
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 13:49:55 -0600
Premade cables are quite expensive compared to homebrew so you have carefully evaluate your skill level and the value of your time. For example a 6' RG400 premade PL-259 jumper is over $60. If you shop for surplus RG400 and purchase quality Amphenol connectors you could probably build this same jumper for $25.

John KK9A

Jim Brown K9YC wrote:

Why? If diameter, RG400 or RG142 is a far better choice, because the
double silver-coated copper braid provides MUCH superior shielding. Much
of the cost of cable fab is labor; use of the better coax increases cost
some.

DX Eng sells RG400 jumpers. Last summer, I bought three custom jumpers
with different connectors on the ends for my lab setup. I don't recall
where I bought them.

73, Jim K9YC