Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole length vs diameter -- a theory question

To: "Ham - Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole length vs diameter -- a theory question
From: "Larry B. via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 15:05:29 -0500
Thanks TTers!

I want to thank all of the members who answered my theoretical question, either publicly or privately. As it turns out, what I thought might be a "simple" question is actually rather deep. In short, there is no simple solution.

The best answer came from Rick, N6RK, who forwarded a link to K6OIK's paper:

https://www.fars.k6ya.org/docs/K6OIK-Dipole-Basics-ARRL-Pacificon-Oct_2019-r1.pdf
This gives more detail than I will probably ever be able to assimilate.

The most humorous (and still serious) was from Ed, AG6CX, who turns out to have been at MIT at the same time I was, although I don't think we ever met. (We can't agree if Harvard is up or down Mass Ave from MIT!) I declined his three attachments.

I also downloaded the book: “Radio Antenna Engineering” Edmond A. Laport, Chief Engineer RCA International Division VOA. [ http:snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/RadioAntennaEngineering/ ] Thanks Ron, W8RJL. Probably more practical stuff than I will even need as well!

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

-----Original Message----- From: Larry Banks via TowerTalk