Re: [TowerTalk] Insights on 30m EDZ - nowhere near what I thought

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insights on 30m EDZ - nowhere near what I thought
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 13:49:07 -0700

"That gain is broadside to the antenna, with nulls off the end."

That's only partially true.  As I stated in my earlier reply to WC6Y, EZNEC says that the nulls off the ends of the antenna aren't the worst ones.  The nulls off the ends are down about 10 db from the broadside main lobes, but there are deep notches ONLY 27 DEGREES either side of the main lobes (i.e., a total of four notches) that are 20 db down from the main lobes.  That's a very sharp pattern for an antenna that can't be rotated.  From my QTH 27 degrees is roughly the difference between Spain and Norway, and 20 db is the difference between 10 watts and a KW.   In actual practice, it is often the case that proximity effects cause the peaks and notches to not be as pronounced as claimed by the model, but at 70 feet in the clear on 30m I suspect they are pretty close.

EZNEC does agree with you though that the antenna doesn't need ... or want ... a 4:1 balun.  The model says that if you get the dimensions right the SWR can be less than 1.1:1 for 50 ohms at the shack end of the ladder line.  And as you say, of course, a common mode choke should be used.

73,
Dave   AB7E