Re: [TowerTalk] Help identifying alloy in mast

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help identifying alloy in mast
From: Richard Smith <n6kt1@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 19:07:17 +0000 (UTC)
 With the XRF gun, care must be taken not to be thrown off track. The XRF gun
looks at the chemical composition of the surface of the metal. Plating has to
be removed (which I think was already recognized in the email chain). In one
experience here at work, we were thrown off track performing XRF to check the
chemical composition of an older piece of metal. The XRF measured the chemical
composition of the very thin layer of corrosion (so thin that it was not
considered by the engineers involved), and we originally thought we had the
wrong alloy. After removing the very thin corrosion layer, it turned out that
it was the correct alloy.
73, Rich, N6KT

    On Monday, February 10, 2020, 10:15:44 AM PST, Charles Gallo

 On 2020-02-10 10:35, john@kk9a.com wrote:
> ... They have an analysis gun that can show the chemical
> composition of carbon steel....

They are known as a XRF gun, or a Metal Alloy tester - They cost in the
ballpark of 30K-50K new.  I see them on eBay for 3K-8K.  They basically
are doing X-Ray Floroscopy, hence the XRF

--
Charles Gallo
http://www.thegallos.com