Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna advice. (NY6DX)

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna advice. (NY6DX)
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 20:41:56 -0800
John,

I think 4sq vs 2L beam tradeoff depends on the beam height vs ground conductivity and thus the 4sq gain/pattern. W6UC has a 4 sq in S. Cal desert, alkaline soil I think, and I have a 2L JKantennas beam at 157ft. He has a path advantage into EU vs mine from WWA via auroral hole, so he might do a little bit better but it is a close contest. For me with very low conductivity soil, a 4sq probably would not be a good choice. (plus I don't have the space). Of course a 4sq has instant direction selection, nice for LP vs SP switching.

Another point of comparison is my DX Eng Rx 4 sq rarely hears better than the beam. Only when there is corona (p-static) is it used for Rx.

The HFTA stats for 80m WWA to EU are for very low angles, 5 to 15d, so every foot of beam height is important. On a 180ft tower to EU from VA, you might have too low an angle.

The obvious solution is 2L @ 180' and 2L @ 100' ;>) I think JK will make you a 3L, so even better to put that at 180ft for JA path. Ken has a design and I think sold a couple.

I'm on a ridge, partially exposed with 90ft firs around, but at 157ft the beam is totally exposed. One big ice storm. JK makes a very strong antenna (~320#) and I've had no problems. My tower guy said, "I'm so happy you are getting an 80m beam, they are great for my business". 4.5 years and no business yet for him, fingers crossed. Two feedpoint coil/relays get me coverage 3.5 to 3.83 < 1.6:1.

Grant KZ1W