Re: [TowerTalk] Fan Dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fan Dipole
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 11:41:36 -0800
On 2/17/2020 11:12 AM, Jeff Widen via TowerTalk wrote:
I want to add a 20 meter wire to my 30 meter dipole and am looking for suggestions
for spreaders to separate the  elements. Half inch PVC pipe seems to bulky and
heavy, any suggestions for something lighter that will hold up to the sun? Also what
is the best separation distance?

Hi Jeff,

Over the years, I've made good use of fan dipoles. 1/2-in PVC conduit cut into short lengths is what I've always used. I've built fans for 80 and 40, for 20, 15 and 10, and for 40, 30 and 17. Now that I have good Al in the air for 20-6M, my only fan is for 80 and 40. I use a spacing of roughly 9-12 inches, with holes drilled into the spacers for wires to run through. For the longest element, I use #9 bare copper, with a wire jumper soldered around the spacer to hold it in place. The shorter element is #12 THHN, and can be held in place at each end by cable clamps or split bolts. Spacers are roughly 6 ft apart. That 80/40 fan has been up 120 ft or so suspended between redwoods for at least 10 years. The spacers aren't as pretty as they were when I built it, but they haven't broken. They get plenty of UV exposure here in NorCal.

The #9 bare copper was obtained by buying a spool of #8 bare copper from the big box store and stretching it by tying one end of a 200 ft length to the base of a tree and the other end to the trailer hitch of W6GJB's pickup and pulling VERY slowly until it breaks. Glen and I have done this several times after I first learned it from WA6NMF about 15 years ago. What you end up with is close to hard drawn copper, roughly 20% longer than what you started with.

The only trouble I've had with fans is when something broke in a major storm, dropping one end, and the fan got tangled in a big madrone. Madrones are beautiful trees, but they're death on wire antennas. :)

In a fan, the SWR bandwidth of the shorter element will be reduced by about half, while the SWR bandwidth of the longer element is that of a single wire dipole.

Two of my fan dipoles are shown on pages 25 and 26 of
http://k9yc.com/LimitedSpaceAntennasPPT.pdf

73, Jim K9YC