Re: [TowerTalk] XHHW wire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XHHW wire
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 11:41:26 -0800
On 2/21/2020 5:18 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
Is the PVC insulation coming off?  I have never seen this occur, even in Aruba.  Typically just the nylon coating over the PVC that reduces friction and makes it more chemical resistant starts peeling off.

John. I've had a lot of THHN in the air for ten years or more, and your experience is the same as mine. In response to erroneous comments made by another ham that antenna performance was degraded by this, N6LF published the results of some serious lab work proving that this was not true.
 You
can buy bare wire in any size, I use it for ground radials.

I use THHN #14 for radials, both on the ground and elevated.

I believe that K9YC uses heavy AWG bare copper and pre-stretches it for antenna wire.

Yes.

73, Jim K9YC