Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] 40-2-CD

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] 40-2-CD
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 09:43:25 -0800
The common personal printer FDM (Filament) printing has some properties that make it not a good choice outdoor RF applications.

Filament printing is a bit porous layer to layer, so moisture ingress is likely. Add to that that the infill is commonly a grid, so there are big internal spaces for moisture. Solvent sealing can help with the first issue and solid infill printing with the second, but that can take a lot of print time.

The laser or UV solidification printing technology from liquid or powder is claimed better for moisture absorption. Of course need a resin with good RF properties. I have no experience with them but have printed a some temporary outdoor use RF parts with my FDM printer.

There are lots of interesting FDM filaments available, new ones every month, but it is hard to find RF properties for some of them. Some data I've found shows large variations among suppliers, I think due to additives.

If new insulators need turned, I would suggest black acetal (Delrin) as the material. Excellent mechanical properties and much nicer to machine than PVC or ABS or UHMW. Costs more though.

Grant KZ1W

Not committed to saving electrons.