Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Ground Conductivity

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Ground Conductivity
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:47:53 -0700
On 3/24/20 8:35 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

This was pretty well studied by George Hagn at SRI in the 60s/70s in the context of antennas for field use of HF and VHF in Vietnam and there are some publications out there. In fact, that's what led to the development of the Open Wire Line (OWL) technique.

Gerry Burke (of NEC fame) told me that the OWL technique doesn't always
work.  IIRC, he said that there was no combination of NEC ground
parameters that produce simulations that agree with the measured data.

Yes, I've heard that also. There's also the real problem that soil isn't uniform with depth - NEC assumes a uniform slab. Neither the dipole nor the OWL, nor the single probe, nor the open wire line laid on the surface techniques will really match.

I've been working with a variety of approaches to modeling non-uniform soil (regolith, technically) - without going to the full on FEM approaches - for wide bandwidths (100kHz to 40 MHz) - none are great, but what I'm really interested in is not the precise values, but what the range of effects might be on HF (and LF) antennas laying on the surface of the Moon.

I am convinced that for ham applications, a "rough estimate" is as good as you need - run your models for a range around what you measured/estimated, and see if the antenna design performance falls apart with small changes. If it's "robust", then, you'll need to adjust it in-situ for the performance (if you're doing something like a 4 square and you want good null performance).

I started out trying to measure the soil properties on a 1 meter grid in my yard using both a loop and a OWL approach, and got so much variation that I thought, OK, it's either an instrumental effect or my soil really does vary (which is quite believable - the moisture content varies).

It would be nice to have some sort of rapid survey approach - sort of like they do with the ground penetrating radar - something you could drag across the surface, and would be able to use multiple frequencies. A compact loop would be one possibility, but it's inherently narrow band.