Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone have experience using Davis bury-flex as their ro

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone have experience using Davis bury-flex as their rotor loop
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 19:35:38 -0700
On 5/18/2020 4:47 PM, n6sj@earthlink.net wrote:
I'm using Davis RF Bury-flex for my rotor loop.

I think that's a great choice, but only the guys who climb my towers know for certain what's up there. :)

LMR400UF is a bad idea, because it does not do well with UV. I bought some from an SMC contester at a Chicago hamfest years ago after he learned that. I learned it years later when I used some of it in my outdoors in my station out here in W6.

In the second edition of his book on Interstation Interference, W2VJN noted that he had observed deterioration of stubs made from LMR400 that had been stored in his garage for a number of years. He blamed it on corrosion between the braid and foil shields. The performance of stubs for harmonic suppression depends on them placing a near short circuit across the line at the harmonic frequency. Any increase in the resistance of the shield and/or the center conductor will make the stub less effective.

73, Jim K9YC