Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vees

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vees
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:11:26 -0700
Very nice design, Don. Everything you report makes sense. A horizontal dipole at 110 ft is a VERY respectable antenna on 80M (and 40M too). By contrast, it's a low antenna on 160M, so it will have significant radiation at higher angles, compared to a vertical which has very little.

You didn't say how tall the tower is. Looking at 80M, a half-wave vertical is a pretty low angle antenna -- peak radiation is at 18 degrees, and it's 6 dB down at 45 degrees and 4 degrees. As we make it 30-40 ft taller, the main lobe peaks at 15 deg and a second lobe develops. At 170 ft (5/8-wave), The higher lobe is only 0.6 dB down from the main lobe, and is 6 dB down from the main lobe at 76 degrees. (These calcs for Rohn 25). The deep fading we have long called "selective fading," is caused by cancellation of the same signal arriving from different paths; the taller vertical will have more selective fading simply because it adds high radiation to the low angle radiation.

When I first moved to NorCal, I had both a 160M dipole (with loading coils at about the 70 ft point on both legs) with about 15 ft beyond the coil to resonate it. It was at about 120 ft. I also had a Tee vertical, about 85 ft tall, with about 70 on-ground radials varying in length from about 60 ft to about 125 ft, but a few shorter ones that ran into a building and concrete. I often switched between them, being careful that AGC didn't cloud my observations. The vertical usually yielded the best signal, only occasionally the dipole. 160M contests start at 2 PM local here; with the vertical, I can reliably work big stations out to at least 800 miles running legal limit; with the dipole, not even a QRZ? When a storm broke something in that 160M antenna (which, with the loading coils also worked well on 80M), I rebuilt it only for 80M.

My soil conductivity is pretty poor (rocky). That doesn't affect horizontally polarized antennas, but it reduces radiation strength of vertically polarized antennas. What I'm getting at here is that a decent vertical with a decent counterpoise or radial system is going to beat almost any horizontal antenna on 160M that most hams can rig.

Another thing I learned along the way. Wires on the ground have a much lower VF. I learned that by measuring (with an MFJ259B) a dipole laying on the ground and noting where it resonant. I also did a model, which arrived in the same range, with VF on the order of 0.7 - 0.75, so roughly 95-100 ft for a quarter wave on 160M. Although I didn't model it, I suspect that it also varies with soil conductivity.

The model said I didn't have to get the radials very high for VF to approach 1. Certainly any radial high enough to be effectively "elevated" (N6BT says at least 20 ft on 160M) will have VF slightly less than 1. I'm using the NEC2 engine; NEC4 may yield better answers.

73, Jim K9YC