Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna choice

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter antenna choice
From: Tony Brock-Fisher via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 19:38:19 -0400
I'd like to suggest a pair of phased delta loops. I have such an antenna and it works very well.

The apices are supported by a 20' PVC crossarm at 66' on the tower. The equilateral triangle loops are tilted away from the tower so the base leg  is 40-50 feet apart, and run parallel to the ground, about 6-8 feet above it. They are fed 1/4 wavelength from the top which gives vertical polarization. The natural loop impedance is around 100 ohms, which can be matched to 50 ohms with a 75 ohm section. The two antennas are fed with a relay arrangement which provides 180 degree switching, so only 2 directions are possible. Gain is similar to  four-square.

The antenna provides vertical polarization for good low angle DX performance. The base leg acts as a counterpoise, so no radials are needed, and low ground conductivity  does not adversely affect performance. The frequency can be simply changed from CW to phone from ground level by adding stubs at the center of the base leg.

Feed system details available on request.

-Tony, K1KP