Re: [TowerTalk] Best Way To Clean Copper Ground Wire for Erico Cadweld C

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best Way To Clean Copper Ground Wire for Erico Cadweld Connection?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 05:42:05 -0700
On 7/17/20 9:35 PM, WA7NE wrote:
I'm installing a number of ground rods to be connected by 2 awg stranded
copper wire.   I plan to use Erico's OneShot for making the connections.
My 2 awg stranded copper wire is a bit tarnished so I'm inquiring about the
best way to clean it for Cadwelding.

I would think that if you remove the surface dirt, the thermite in the cadweld mix will burn off anything else. Copper oxidation will certainly go away (the thermite is a mixture of aluminum powder and copper oxide, after all).

Is something like Brasso or Noxon followed by a wire brushing sufficient or
is there a better way?  I know there should be no contaminants left on the
wire.

I wouldn't use a brass polish - it might leave a waxy film or something.

I've just made it reasonably clean and didn't do anything special - you're not soldering it with flux, etc.

Thank you,

Wayne / WA7NE