Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Harness Recommendations needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Harness Recommendations needed
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 21:08:41 -0500
On 8/19/2020 6:58 PM, Tim Duffy wrote:
Please consider hiring a tower professional to do your work before you purchase
all of the needed safety equipment - UNLESS you will also sign up to be
professionally trained in tower climbing safety.

73
Tim K3L

For those of us not living near major population centers, hiring a tower professional is often impractical because of the travel required. While that may not be a big obstacle for a major project, it's hardly practical to hire a professional from 1,000 miles away to replace a rotator. I still do all my own tower work, but the day may come when I no longer can. If anyone knows how to find competent professionals in the midwest and other less densely populated areas, I'd like to hear about them.

BTW, I did hire a local professional tower outfit last year to take down my tower, a job that didn't require any knowledge of ham radio antennas. They were totally incompetent. One of them admitted that they received very little training. They were to put up the new tower, but I fired them and did it myself, with help from another ham.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA