[TowerTalk] Element taper change

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting. com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Element taper change
From: Charles Morrison <junkcmp@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 17:45:37 -0400
I'm duplicating a few yagi elements made from European diameter tubing.
I want to get it as close as I can but I dont want to model .
I'll compensate at the tips.
.
Question: Which will get me closest to determining the correct 'equivalent'.
   Area of the cross section of the element:      L X W
-or-
   Volume of a cylinder:     2 pi r h + 2 pi r^2

Half-element Example
EU:
Diameter   1.18"    0.987"   0.787"
                    43"       51"       32"
US
Diameter   1.125"   1.00"   0.875"
                    36"       68"       X"

Stated another way: LAWSON's Yagi Element Equivalent is closer to a surface
area approximation or a cross-sectional area approximation ?

 -Charlie N1RR