Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna and Radial current

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna and Radial current
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 18:23:21 -0700
Dave and Grant,

Interesting discussion.  I am thinking about stringing up a 160 vertical
hanging off the side of the tower and am thinking about 4 elevated radials.  I
don't have the real estate to accomodate full length radials so they ends will
be angled off to the side at about 70 % of their length.  Will look like a
german swastika hihi.   I was wondering how to tune the radials so hope to pick
up some tidbits on how to do it from this discussion.   Dave, how high is your
vertical section ?  I can't achieve a full 130 feet quarter wave on 160, will
have to settle for 115 feet and use a loading coil.  I am thinking for the
radials to be 10 feet high.   I read that 4 elevated radials are as good as a
lot of radials on the ground.

Bob
K6UJ