[TowerTalk] Low Cost 20' Mast

To: undefined <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Low Cost 20' Mast
From: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 11:29:55 -0400 (EDT)
There's hardly anything cheaper than used Rohn 20 or 25G tower.
Ask around and check local ads.
Yes, it may take a while, but I find 25G from free to $50/section.
Look for some that's a little worn or with surface rust.
Wire brush it and give it a shot of cold galvanized paint from the home store.
Or some Rustoleum, if you have it lying around.
At 20', yu and a pal can easily stand it up.
Yes, you can climb it, if the bracket to the shed is good.
A bracket will likely cost more than the tower, but for 20' it would be easy to
make one.
My clubs put up several towers of 30-40' every Field Day.  They are on regular
tilt bases and are raised by hand or by falling derricks and tractors.
If you're handy, you can make a tilt base from scrap metal and some
hinges...keep it simple!
You don't need concrete for 20', just something to keep the base from sliding
sideways.
A couple of 3' pieces of rebar would be fine.  We use four for FD, but that's
taller towers.
So ask around.  Let people what you want to do and something may crop up.  Most
hams are interested in helping someone who is willing to help themselves.
There's a lot of tower behind garages and in sheds, waiting for you to find it.
Let us know where you are...someone on here may be able to help.
Wilson
W4BOH