Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical placement?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical placement?
From: Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 13:39:58 -0600
Steve,
Did you connect to the metal roof as your ground plane or did you still use resonant wires instead?
Mark N5OT

On 11/13/2020 9:44 AM, k7lxc--- via TowerTalk wrote:
   A roof mount also has the advantage of less coupling/blocking/absorption by nearby structures and objects.  The challenges are the band
matching of elevated radials.  Did this many years ago for a Mosley RV4 40>10.  Downward sloping radials also raise the feedpoint Z closer
to 50 ohms.  This can be modeled.  My best ever vertical was on a galvanized steel barn roof. Hiya, Grant -     Tnx for
good comments. Reminds me that Don Stoner, W6TNS, had a house on Mercer Island with a solid copper roof. Pilots could see it on their radar! You may
remember him also for his famous 11M Stoner SSB CB rig that had a slider feature.  Cheers,Steve    K7LXC