[TowerTalk] Coax Impact on Receive Performance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Impact on Receive Performance
From: Ken Bauer via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 11:27:07 -0700
Just to check my thinking, I thought I would consult the experts here …

I have about 350’ of LMR400 equivalent running to a Spiderbeam. When rotated to
A25RU on 20m the other day my Flex 6600 showed the noise floor averaging -132
dbi showing as S1.5. A25RU would peak about 6db over noise the noise level.

I figure on receive, coax loss will reduce both the signal and the noise
equally, and that the coax has *no* impact on receive performance *unless* the
loss pushes me below the receiver noise floor. If I disconnect the antenna, the
Flex shows the noise floor averaging -134 dbi.

Of course spending $$ and putting in good hardline will give me more transmit
watts to the antenna, but will it help me hear better in this case? I’m
thinking not ...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Ken WC6Y