[TowerTalk] New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] New tool - toroidal ferrite core inductor calculator
From: "jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 08:33:22 -0700
<This new tool may be of interest to at least a few TowerTalk folks.
<Currently being discussed, with some sample illustrations, here:

<
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/new-tool-toroidal-ferrite-core-inductor-<calculator.768222/
<https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/new-tool-toroidal-ferrite-core-inductor-calculator.768222/>

<Or you can download the full 13 page Help pdf and the Excel workbook
<from the link at the bottom of this page:

<
https://sites.google.com/view/sp3l-hf-antennas/home-page/miscellaneous/toroidal-<ferrite-core-inductor-calculator
<https://sites.google.com/view/sp3l-hf-antennas/home-page/miscellaneous/toroidal-ferrite-core-inductor-calculator>

<Note that the workbook requires Excel 2007 or newer.  It cannot be
<used with other spreadsheet programs such as OpenOffice and
<OfficeLibre nor with Excel 2003 and older.

<Dan, AC6LA

I only have Openoffice, it opens ok, and I can toggle through all the tabs,
BUT it comes up as....read only mode.
I noticed it will only handle a maximum of  3 x cores, why is that ?   I
use 5 x cores, type 31, 2.4 inch OD on both my 160 and also 80 and also 40m
CM chokes.

It will  only handle a maximum of a 2.4 inch OD  type 31 core.  K9YCs
latest designs all use  the much larger,  I think,  4 inch OD cores.
As per number of turns, is this for wire, or coax,  or can be used for
either ?   If coax used, what type of coax ?   I used  RG-303 and  RG-400
on the smaller  CM chokes....and  RG-393 on the bigger CM chokes.

Looking at the various attributes of a type 31  2.4 inch OD  toroid, by
both  fair rite..and also amidon, I am not seeing any difference in
properties between the 2 x manufacturers.

On a  side note, N3RR,  Bill Hider, a few yrs ago, bought  700  (seven
hundred) of the type  31,  2.4 inch OD cores...from I think,  Fair
rite..... and the tolerance between all of em  was strewn all  over the
map,  like  +  or  -  20+ %.   Bill came up with a simple  1  turn test to
evaluate,and then grade them into various groups.  Some time in the past,
apparently  Fair rite  moved their production facilities to  CHINA, and
after that, the  +/- tolerances went all to hell.

So while the  software may well  get you close,  one would still have to
test the final assy...with a vna  or my method below.

For  CM chokes,  I took the easy way out...and just measured the actual CM
current with a clamp on  RF  ammeter on the coax.   I measured in several
places on the coax.  I marked the various measurement spots  with painters
green tape, like 2 x wraps, with a space in between..where the clamp on  RF
ammeter goes.   With power level fixed..and on a specific measuring freq,
one CM choke assy can be replaced with a different designed  CM
choke....and any improvement of  degradation is easily noted.   Typ what
happens is  ALL the measurements  will rise....or fall an equal
percentage, when a  CM choke assy  is swapped to a different  designed  CM
choke.

Jim   VE7RF