Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Tension Gage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran Tension Gage
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:10:34 -0700
On 7/13/21 4:46 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
Calibrating against the actual fiber is *probably* good enough for ham tower work, BUT

Be aware that the Kevlar fibers of Phillystran behave very differently than steel wire.  The Kevlar fiber is very strong axially with about 60% the modulus of steel.  The fiber also has very complex lower modulus behavior longitudinally, the fibers are anisotropic.

The Loos gauge is based on the isotropic (equal in all directions) modulus of steel, approximately the deflection of a beam center loaded and simply supported at both ends.  A simple equation that can be looked up on the web, that doesn't apply to Phillystran.

If the Kevlar "beam" was isotropic, then the Loos gauge on Kevlar would deflect 1/0.6 more on the same diameter as EHS (IE the exact diameter of the actual fiber or wire bundle if all air was removed - weight per foot is the easiest means to get the value for both).  A 0.22" diameter of the PE Phillystran sheath, isn't that value.

So perhaps the best use of a Loos gauge is to get all guy tensions equal and use a simple force gauge to measure the tension. Sometimes cheap on ebay ("dillon force gauge") and all mechanical (D shaped steel ring and dial gauge).

They can be made on a milling machine, google for instructions. Like these.  They work in tension or compression.

https://scienspec.com.tw/userfiles/files/MODEL%20X.PDF

Grant KZ1W

And if you want to get fancy, there's plenty of load cells for sale at remarkably low prices.

(I was looking for <200 lbs, so the ones I found are probably not suitable, but they were <$50)  You could monitor the tension in your guys at all times, and tell when the wind has shifted.  I found some ones rated at 2000kg for $42 (they're used in weighing applications, among others) - "Load Cell Sensor S type"

And there's also things like "Digital Crane Scales" (which are basically tension sensors, with a display, and sometimes, a USB or BT interface.