Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna Mounted 12' Above Gorund

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna Mounted 12' Above Gorund
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:50:46 -0700

I could certainly believe that to be the case.  If your ground conditions are such that the effective reference is not near the surface, lower is probably better since a Beverage high off the ground is just an end fed long wire.  As Jim and others have pointed out, a true Beverage needs reasonable proximity to lossy soil to work properly.

My soil here on this rocky southern Arizona hillside is normally bone dry, and I suspect (can't prove it though) that my BOG works as well as if I had it higher off the ground.  I've adjusted the terminating resistor until I got a constant feed impedance versus frequency (i.e., a flat line) and it's roughly 400 ohms ... not much different than the generally accepted value for a standard beverage.

73,
Dave  AB7E