Re: [TowerTalk] Field Strength comparison

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Field Strength comparison
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 17:48:04 -0400

>  In those days (early '60s), field strength was referenced at
> a mile. km was simply a shift to the metric system.

It's been more than a few years since I read the AM Rules and,
even then, I was not involved with an AM station much less
antenna proofs <G>.  However, "field strength at one mile" is
three to four wavelengths even at the bottom of the AM band and
that should be more than enough to get into the far field.

Of course, with AM broadcast the licensee only cared about the
groundwave except for the need to limit skywave in certain
directions to avoid cochannel interference (thanks to guys like
Pete and Carl who "packed the band" <G>).  Even then, the skywave
pattern was entirely theoretical unless there was actual interference.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV