Re: [TowerTalk] Earth Ground: How good is good enough

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Earth Ground: How good is good enough
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:51:35 -0400
Jim et all

One of my heroes of the late 20th century was Ed Demming a noted statistician ( with a degree in EE of all things) who changed the way the world (most notably the US and Japan in the 70's and 80's) looked at and tried to use statistics to solve mass production quality problems through design of experiments techniques. . One of Ed's famous sayings was "If you cant say it with numbers..you don't understand the problem".

So I will say it AGAIN. What I want to do is measure the ground resistance of a multi ground rod system in VERY POOR soils in my case. WHY I want to know this number or what I intend to use it for IS NOT relevant to the discussion at this point. Please don't get your cart before my horse.

No where in my original query did it indicate that this was for a vertical antenna system ...but to clarify IT IS NOT. I followed N6LF's work on measuring soil conductivity and did a lot of measurement to conclude that my soil is very poor, in the range of .0015. But for the record laying out radial fields in a jungle with a pure quartz floor is not really practical and I went to elevated radials a long time ago.

I will happily spend the $10 if N0AX's book ...IF...it talks about actual measurement techniques for deriving the resistance of a ground system composed of several ground rods at any given frequency. Those of you who recommended the book please verify for me that it talks about actual measurement techniques WHY I want to know is not relevant to the question.

What I want to do is to be able to describe the problem with numbers using verifiable measurement techniques at different frequencies.

Maybe I am writing an article for next year's April issue of QST for building a 50 ohm dummy load using an array ground rods outside my shack  window. Maybe I am just curious.

Dave
NR1DX