Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Ties

To: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable Ties
From: "Joseph B. Fitzgerald" <jfitzgerald@alum.wpi.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 13:21:05 +0000
I just inspected a 90 foot tower I installed for a friend 35 years ago.  I used
the insulated solid copper wire technique every 5 feet to secure two runs of
3/4" Heliax, a  rotor cable and some RG-59 that went to a TV antenna.    While
the years have caused a couple of issues on that tower - the TV antenna has
shed most of its elements -  the cables and wire ties looked just fine despite
the best efforts of New England's wind and ice.

Since then I have spent a lot of time removing and re-installing Scotch 33
black tape on other projects for the same purpose.   It starts to look pretty
sketchy after 10 years or so.   I think I will be adding a roll of insulated
copper wire to my kit before the next project!

-Joe KM1P