Re: [TowerTalk] Homage to Ohmage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homage to Ohmage
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 14:13:05 -0700
On 10/21/2021 1:52 PM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
When we had standards, it was 52.  Once standard became "nominal", it was rounded down in print to cover sloppiness/ease in manufacturing.

More likely because Zo and VF of ALL transmission lines vary with frequency. It's predicted by the wave equations. Several years ago, I measured Zo, VF, and Attenuation vs frequency for all of the transmission line types used in the HF transmitting chokes in my Cookbook. Harbour Industries MIL-spec RG400, for example, is 52 ohms around 1.2 MHz, with VF just below 0.69; at 50 MHz, it's 50 ohms and 0.722.

Here's a tutorial I wrote for guys working in pro audio who thought (mistakenly) that long audio cables in performance venues ought to be viewed as transmission lines.

http://k9yc.com/TransLines-LowFreq.pdf

73, Jim K9YC