Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna in attic

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna in attic
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 17:32:39 -0300
25 yrs ago I had an attic dipole antenna in an apt building (4th floor), but
to avoid tuners, I made it a multiband ?fan? type dipole.
I kept it as far away from metal (and the roofing shingles) and whatnot as
possible, but don?t remember extensive tweaking to get it w/i reason on most
bands.  I had it snaked in a roughly ?S? pattern throughout the whole attic.

Of course, I had (and probably gave) RFI to/fr my neighbours, so I kept
output at QRP levels.

Was not the quietest antenna I?ve ever used but I worked all kinds of stuff
on 6m thru 40m at 5 or 10watts.

As long as you set reasonable expectations, I am sure your friend will be
work some louder stations.  Myself, I could not be content to only having an
antenna for a single band at a dwelling.

73

Mike VE9AA
p.s.-recently I bought a KX2 and KX3 and set them up inside my house here on
?test? antennas.  The noise levels on 15-20-40 (only bands tried) with
inside antennas??are near deafening no doubt due to switching power
supplies, computers, routers, modems, clock circuits etc.  It (probably)
won?t be a ?quiet? experience for your friend.

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB