Re: [TowerTalk] 80 m 4-square high SWR with no obvious reason why - usin

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kq2m@kq2m.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 m 4-square high SWR with no obvious reason why - using COMTEK ACB-80
From: Gary NA6O via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:36:12 -0700
1. Dump power is the most crucial diagnostic. It will quickly rise with any
significant mismatch in the array. The quadrature hybrid matching system tends
to minimize SWR fluctuations even when one or more array elements are not well
matched. So having high SWR means something terrible is indeed wrong.

2. Is your dummy load on the dump port ok? If if was undersized, a severe
mismatch would likely fry it.

3. Measure the impedance looking into each phasing line with all the others
disconnected. The absolute value is perhaps less important than seeing that
they are all nearly equal over the bandwidth of interest. That can quickly lead
you to a failed element. Keep a record of this data!

Though I haven’t seen it happen, it is of course possible that one of the
transformers or a relay could be damaged in the switching box.

If you have a common-mode choke at the feedpoint of each antenna, it’s possible
for that to overheat during the time power was applied with a dropped element.
Voltage across the choke can become very high and power dissipation goes out of
sight. If severely damaged, the choke may cease to function, leaving the
outside of the phasing line shield “connected" to the radial system, which
alters the feedpoint impedance and array pattern.

Gary Johnson, NA6O
gwj@me.com
https://na6o.com