Re: [TowerTalk] Resistor Across a Choke Balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Resistor Across a Choke Balun
From: Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 19:45:36 -0500
You are correct Ed.

73, Jim W7RY

On 6/30/2022 7:01 PM, Edward McCann via TowerTalk wrote:
I think the query had to do with static-relieving resistor or choke across his
antennas terminals effective at DC, if I read it correctly.

Ed McCann
AG6CX

On Jun 30, 2022, at 3:34 PM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

On 6/30/2022 2:57 PM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
I've looked on and off over the years for a tutorial, but not had any luck, can
anyone suggest a route of study for me?
Yes. k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf includes an extensive tutorial on how ferrite chokes
work, as well as a lot of other fundamental EMC concepts.

k9yc.com/publish.htm includes two choke "Cookbooks," one for MF/HF, another
VHF/UHF. The MF/HF cookbook is based on more than a year of winding and measuring more
than a thousand chokes; the VHF/UHF cookbook is based on Fair-Rite data sheets for
specific cores. This material has been in the ARRL Handbook for a while.

There's also an applications note on identifying RF noise by type and providing
advice on how to locate and kill it. It includes winding guidelines for
clamp-ons at the source of noise.

73, Jim K9YC